Powered By Blogger

Sunday 22 August 2010

Strammer Max





Strammer Max (German blood sausage)

My wife who is German introduced me to Strammer Max, her version of this Black Forest recipe consisted of a slice of Pumpernickel bread with a slice of Schwartzwalder Schinken (Black Forest Ham) laid on top of the bread and cooked slices of Blutwurst (Bury black pudding was used here) with a freshly made fried egg on top of that to finish.

I do enjoy the many variations of this dish, only this morning I used fried bread, smoked black bacon and a slice of black pudding terrine (yes that is right, you can make black pudding in a terrine) with a scrambled egg topping. Another version is to replace the ham for beef and this would then be called a "Strammer Otto".

I must tell you whilst researching the origins of my wife’s recipe I learnt that strammer max is also German slang for an erection, I’m glad my name is not Max, can you picture me greeting my wife saying:
Hello darling, Max is here! ”.

1 comment: